This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the policies page for more information.
If you want to know which cooking equipment and ingredients I use, then shop my kitchen items!
In case you don’t already have enough pumpkin recipes for this time of year, here’s one more. I was inspired to create this Pumpkin Lentil Curry recipe after having a pumpkin curry from a Thai restaurant. The dish was more of a loose, soupy curry and it didn’t have lentils, but the combination of pumpkin and basil was delicious and I knew I wanted to recreate something similar using those same main ingredients.
This recipe is vegan, oil-free, and contains 11 ingredients. This recipe also takes approximately 35 minutes to make and serves 5 – 7 people.
Using Quality Coconut Milk
I make it a rule of cooking to use quality coconut milk, or more importantly quality ingredients, whenever possible. For the purposes of this recipe, I would like to encourage you to do the same.
When it comes to choosing a coconut milk there are a few important factors to pay attention to. For starters, whether or not the coconut milk contains a thickening agent such as guar gum or xanthum gum is a key difference that will set quality coconut milk and poor coconut milk apart. I prefer to use coconut milk that does not contain a thickening agent. The reason I do this is because when manufacturers add a thickening agent, that’s usually to make up for the large amount of water within the can. If the coconut milk does not contain a thickening agent, that’s typically because there is enough coconut or coconut extract within the can. The more coconut or coconut extract within the can means the more natural coconut fat will be in the can and it’s less likely to need a thickening agent.
Quick Step-By-Step for Making Pumpkin Lentil Curry
For this recipe, start by sautéing the onions in a large pot. Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic and cook until aromatic. Next add the curry powder, pumpkin purée, and coconut milk and stir. Add the remaining ingredients except the basil and stir. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to simmer. When it’s done simmering, stir the curry and add in the chopped basil.
I like to serve this curry alongside brown rice or quinoa and top it with halved cashews, peanuts, or a chili sauce.
Products for this recipe (Sold through Amazon)Print
This pumpkin lentil curry is the perfect recipe for any fall weeknight dinner! This recipe also serves as a great way to use any additional cans of pumpkin puree that might be sitting in your cupboard.
- Place a large saute pan or cooking pot over medium heat and add the onion. Saute the onion for about 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add curry powder, pumpkin purée, and coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Add water, lentils, coconut sugar, salt, and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and stir every minute until the mixture reaches a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid. Let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir to fully combine the lentils and the curry.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the basil. Pair with rice or quinoa or serve as desired.
- To make this dish oil-free I used a small amount of water to saute the onion and garlic. If you prefer to use oil, use about a tablespoon to saute.
Want another great dinner recipe? Check out my Broccoli & Cashew Sheet Pan “Stir Fry” recipe!