This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the policies page for more information.
If you want to know which cooking equipment and ingredients I use, then shop my kitchen items!
Make this easy vegan taco pasta in 30 minutes or less! This recipe is vegan and oil-free but it can also be easily made gluten-free.
A while ago I added my 10-Minute Vegan Taco Meat recipe to the blog and from there I’ve come up with all sorts of recipes to include it in. The recipe I’m sharing today is a great way to incorporate my vegan taco meat recipe as well as my Taco Seasoning recipe!
For this recipe, you do not have to use my taco seasoning recipe or my vegan taco meat recipe. Using regular taco seasoning packets and vegan “beef” crumbles will work just as well.
Simple Step-By-Step for Making Vegan Taco Pasta
Making this recipe is very simple. I start off by making my vegan taco meat. I make it in the same pot as I make the pasta in. When the taco meat is done I set it aside in a bowl or plate to add back at the end.
To start on the pasta add the onion to the pan and sauté it. Next add the jalepeños and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Then add all the remaining ingredients, except for the vegan taco meat, and bring everything to a boil. Stir continuously until it has reached a boil, then cover with a lid and set the heat to low. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes.
While the pasta is simmering I like to put the vegan taco meat on a sheet pan and spread it out evenly. Then I put it in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes to crisp up a little. You don’t have to do this, but if you want the vegan taco meat to hold its flavor, texture, and color better then I’d recommend this step.
When the pasta is done, stir it to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom. Add the vegan taco meat and stir again. The sauce will thicken as it cools so don’t worry if it’s loose and runny.
I like this recipe because it’s simple to make and it’s ready in a short amount of time. I also like that, just like tacos, you can customize this recipe by putting whatever you want on it.
I love this recipe because it’s so simple. If you have some extra taco seasoning packets sitting around in your cupboard, then you can add it along with pasta and a few other ingredients to make this delicious recipe!
Products for this recipe (Sold through Amazon)Print
This vegan taco pasta is also oil-free and can easily be made gluten-free. This recipe takes 30 minutes or less to make and serves 4 – 6 people!
- 6 Cups Water
- 16 oz. Regular Pasta Shells or Gluten-Free Pasta Shells
- 1 (15 oz.) Can Pureed/Finely Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Cashew Cream*
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Taco Seasoning or 1 oz. Packet of Taco Seasoning
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 2 Jalepeños, Minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- Vegan Taco Meat** (Optional)
For the Vegan Taco Meat:
- If you’re making my Vegan Taco Meat recipe to go along with this recipe, then you’ll need to make that first before you make the pasta. Set the taco meat aside when you’re done so you can add it in at the end of the pasta recipe. If you’re not making taco meat to go with this recipe, then you can skip this step.
For the Taco Pasta:
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add a splash of water or 1 tbsp. of oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the garlic and jalepeños and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the vegan taco meat** and stir to combine.
- Bring everything to a boil and continue stirring until it has reached the boiling point. The pasta will want to stick to the bottom of the pan so it’s very important that you continue stirring to avoid that. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for 8 – 10 minutes.***
- After simmering remove the lid and stir the pasta to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Turn off the heat and stir in the vegan taco meat. The sauce on the pasta will seem loose and runny, but it will thicken slightly as it cools. Serve with whatever toppings you’d like****. The pasta can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
*Cashew Cream: To make cashew cream add 1 cup of raw cashews to a blender along with 1 cup of hot water. Allow the cashews to soak in the hot water for 5 minutes before blending it all together.
**Vegan Taco Meat: If you’re making my Vegan Taco Meat recipe to use in this taco pasta recipe, then I recommend cooking the taco meat in the oven after you’ve cooked it on the stovetop. After I’ve made my vegan taco meat on the stovetop, I spread it out evenly on a baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper and I bake it at 350°F for 15 minutes. I prefer to do this extra step because it makes the taco meat crispier which means it won’t lose it’s texture or color when you add it to the taco pasta. You can skip this step if you prefer.
***Simmering Time: You may want to adjust the simmering time depending on the type of pasta you use. I tested this recipe using regular pasta shells and with gluten-free chickpea pasta shells. The regular pasta needed the full 10 minutes of simmering to cook the pasta. The gluten-free chickpea pasta only needed 8 minutes to simmer and cook the pasta.
****Optional Toppings: Cilantro, Sliced Jalepeños, Sliced Black Olives, Salsa, Sour Cream, Vegan Shredded Cheese, etc.
Want another pasta recipe? Check out my recipe for Lemon Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms!