This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the policies page for more information.
If you want to know which cooking equipment and ingredients I use, then shop my kitchen items!
Here’s another fall drink recipe to add to your collection! This recipe for Pumpkin Spice Hot Cocoa is vegan and refined sugar-free. For this recipe, I used pumpkin puree to give the cocoa added creaminess. I also used Dutch-process cocoa powder since it’s richer in flavor than regular cocoa powder.
Tips for Making the Best Pumpkin Spice Hot Cocoa
- Make sure the pumpkin puree you’re using is 100% pumpkin. A lot of canned pumpkin puree contains other varieties of squash without mentioning them on the ingredients label. Look for brands that specifically say they use 100% pumpkin.
- Use Dutch-process cocoa powder instead of regular cocoa powder if you can. Dutch-process cocoa powder is richer in flavor and will make your cocoa creamier.
- Strain the cocoa after heating it to remove any small clumps of cocoa before serving. This will ensure that your cocoa is extra smooth.
- Use Grade A pure maple syrup, NOT pancake syrup. I’m sure by now you know that there are major difference between maple syrup and pancake syrup. Pancake syrup is typically corn syrup with caramel coloring to make it appear darker. Maple syrup is made from actual maple tree sap.
Products for this recipe (Sold through Amazon)Print
This creamy pumpkin spice hot cocoa is vegan and refined sugar-free.
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine.
- Continue whisking while cooking until the cocoa is hot.
- Strain the cocoa to remove any clumps (optional) and serve.
*Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder: I recommend using Dutch-process cocoa powder for a more rich, chocolatey cocoa.
Want more fall drink recipes? Check out my recipe for Simple Spiced Cider!