Make The Best 4-Ingredient Vegan “Chicken” as an easy meat alternative! This recipe is oil-free and makes 4 cups of vegan “chicken”!
- 8 oz. Firm Tofu, Drained
- 7 oz. Enoki Mushrooms
- 1 1/4 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 Cup Water*
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
Prep and cook the mushrooms:
- Cut the dirty ends off of the mushrooms and discard.
- Rinse the mushrooms under cold water to remove any excess dirt.
- Place the mushrooms onto a cutting board and use one hand to hold them together. Shred the mushrooms with a fork using your other hand. Continue shredding the mushrooms until all have been separated into fine hair-like strands.
- Add the mushrooms to a small frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 – 2 tbsp. of water and cook for 3 – 5 minutes or until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. The mushrooms will look slimy and stick together. Set the cooked mushrooms aside.
Put it all together:
- Add the tofu, water, and salt to a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape the inside of the food processor with a spatula and continue blending to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Add the vital wheat gluten and pulse a few times until just mixed.
- Add the cooked enoki mushrooms and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute to fully incorporate. Give your food processor a break every 10 seconds to avoid overheating or breaking it.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and quickly roll/knead to form a smooth ball.
- Wrap the mixture in aluminum foil twice around. Do not over-wrap the mixture or it will not cook properly and it will still be raw in the center.
- Add the wrapped mixture to a pressure cooker along with 1 cup of water and steam for 15 minutes. Flip the wrapped mixture over and steam for another 15 minutes. You can add the wrapped mixture to a steam basket if your pressure cooker has one or place it on the bottom of the pressure cooker if you do not have one.
- When the “chicken” is done cooking, let it cool at room temperature before placing it in the fridge to chill for 4 – 6 hours or overnight.
- After chilling, cut or shred the chicken and use it in your favorite recipes as you would with regular chicken. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
*Water Substitution: You can use vegan chicken broth in place of water if you want this recipe to have more of a chicken flavor.